EXAM. The word invokes hopelessness and anxiety. But that is not true for all of us. Some of us are so adept to the exam pressure that living under duress becomes our way of life. And if the exam, which we are preparing for, is cancelled or postponed, our lives go tumbling down the hill. Today I will share some of the things that you might go through during this phase. If you’re one of those hapless fellows whose single-direction-running-track has been remoulded into a circle, this one is for you.
Here are some of the situations that you might encounter:
- Hyper-Breakdown-Activity-Paralysis – This might not be an actual medical condition but if you just try it passionately, it could be. This is a ‘state of being when you don’t know what to do because ‘everything that you stood for’ decided to make a run for it.
- Readmission to social media – Don’t be afraid. Things are still the same. They won’t hurt you. All they want is a like and subscribe. Don’t interact. I repeat, don’t interact.
- That thing called TV – You might remember it from your childhood. They still show the same mindless stuff, and some good music. You will get used to it.
- The 24 hour paradox – Yes, there are 24 hours in a day. You might not have realised that earlier but now you know that the threat is real. Every second, a 1000 millisecond long, will make itself count just like a 3 minute Justin Bieber video; you wish it would end but it wouldn’t.
- To study or not to study – Given your history with examinations and success you want to study. But the exam date has shifted and there is ample of time. What else can you do? After hours of critical thinking you will narrow it down to ‘studies’. But then, there is ample of time. And by the time you could make a decision the day is gone and the night, long.
- Sleepomnia – Ignore the person who says this is not an actual word. If you’re sleeping most of the time because of your inability to blend in with normal people, you’re suffering from sleepomnia. That’s it!
REMEDIES (Yes, this is not the end of world) :
- Netflix and chill.
- Read ‘Getting Back to Civilisation’.
- Watch ‘Game of Thrones’ and chill.
- Make contact with the outer world(at your own risk).
- Go out with friends and chill.
- Learn to play an instrument.
- Do anything and chill.
#Note – It is summer time. The ‘chilling’ part is important.
I’ve dealt with some of the stress busters and pre-exam stresses in my 1st and 2nd articles. So now let’s have a look at a very critical phase, the phase which decides our post-exam fate, the day before exam. Especially, the phase when you are done with the studies and are prepared for the exam, i.e., the POST-STUDY TRAUMA. This is a very interesting period as it has its own pros and cons.
Let’s have a look at some of the situations you may encounter during this period –
- Unusual irritation (Don’t confuse this with the irritation caused by improper and irregular bathing…that’s a different case!)
- Free time (Actually time is always free, it’s us who are caged)
- More study (Studying it again and again won’t change the syllabus… so don’t bother)
- Urge to call your friends (It’s the primary nature of a dominator to demoralize other… because to stay on top, one must make sure that other don’t)
- Fear of failure ( A normal mind retains 60% of what it has learnt… so there is no chance of failure… unless you are CONGRESS)
- A look at previous year’s paper (Now this is when reality dawns upon you…time to study… to books and beyond!)
- Take a stroll (Exposure to new environment and conditions may lead to loss of data already stored… if you know what I mean)
- More food (There’s always a chance of food poisoning… I would prefer fast until exam)
- Watch TV (Well if you’re MODI fan then go for it!)
- Close your eyes and relax (DAMN! The secret of success!!)
So these were some of the situations you might encounter during this phase. Make sure you choose the right ones. There is always a slight chance to convert this POST-STUDY TRAUMA into POST-STUDY RELIEF. Stay cool, stay blessed!
In my last post I discussed some of the top stress busters during exam time. Exam time is a crucial period of any student’s life(which of course repeats itself at regular intervals).
I don’t know how you people feel about it but I personally like this period. This is the time when our brain starts working(actually). This is the time when ideas flood in and multiple thoughts occupy our brain, especially the PRE-EXAM period, i.e., 2-3 days before exams(I am specifically talking about late bloomers here; ones who start studying sometime around this time).
This is the most interesting and the most challenging part. This is the time when our mind has to compete with itself and with the world. Some of the observed features of this period are –
- Doubts come to existence(Doubts that didn’t had any significance moments ago, doubts that were not necessary during classes, doubts that weren’t supposed to be doubts)
- Mind starts devising new theories(New and modified theories are invented with hollow facts but solid results)
- More syllabus emerges(Portion that wasn’t there in the syllabus moments ago is now THERE)
- Notes starts vanishing(The simplified theory & key points that were written in the notebook are now missing, probably kidnapped!)
- Movies already seen are suddenly much more interesting( The plot, the story, the sequences seems more exciting)
- Cross checking syllabus with friends is the first priority(Calls & messages to confirm and reconfirm the syllabus; the fear of studying more causes our mobile balance to suffer)
- Urge to buy subject guides(The thick books gives goose bumps forcing one to opt the thin and sufficient MASTERPIECES)
- Increase in social activity(Regular checking of our social accounts to know how other people are doing and to get any new info/tip related to exams/studies)
So these were some of the features of the so called PRE-EXAM stage. The features may vary depending upon personality and situations. But no matter how good you are you can always connect with any one of the above mentioned features. If not then chill and keep trying… until you connect 😉
Do remember to share your thoughts and experience in the comments section below.
We all have something in common, something that we unanimously hate; EXAMS. This is the period where mental stress overrules all other emotions. No matter what level of student you are, you can’t escape its wrath.
This is what drives crazy most of us during the exams; THE EXAM PRESSURE. Whether you’ve prepared for it or you’re in the process or about to proceed, the pressure is there. And this pressure accounts for our weird behavior and lack of sanity.
Going through this process repeatedly I have devised some fruitful ways to relieve/divert this excessive pressure. Here are the top ones…
- Study(That’s the most important and most reliable way)
- Try to study(Effective in cases where the previous step can’t be implemented)
- Take a walk in between sessions(somewhat relieves the pressure)
- Eat(An empty stomach results in lack of focus)
- Eat more(Keeps you busy and prepares your body to take the pressure)
- Punch the wall(Activates all your senses)
- Punch the wall again(Causes pain which diverts your mind from pressure)
*Note – A third time is not advised as it may cause temporary or permanent scratch/fracture/bruise/clotting.
- Eat lots of chocolate(Makes you spend money which in turn troubles your weekly/monthly budget causing you to pay immediate attention at your budget management)
- Talk to friends(This is one of the best stress relievers during exams and makes you forget any pressure or mind buster)
- Listen to good music(Please pay attention to the word ‘GOOD’ here)
- Take 5 minutes break at regular intervals(An efficient diversion)
- Sleep(This part is mandatory)
So these were some of the ways to relieve exam pressure. If you have any reliable ideas or methods to kill this exam pressure, you’re more than welcome to share your ideas in the comments section. My advice, please share your ideas 😉