REVIEW NO. – 15
NAME : I’M A WOMAN & I’M ON SALE
AUTHOR : MALLIKA NAWAL
SOURCE : AUTHOR
GENRE : FICTION
PUBLICATION : GOOD TIMES BOOKS
STORY : 3.5/5
COVER : 4/5
WRITING STYLE : 4/5
DIALOGUES : 4/5
THEME : 3/5
OVERALL : 4/5
She have secrets, she has pain, she have sorrows, she have crushed dreams, she had the darkest past one could imagine of but a little smile on her face was enough to fool the world.
Maya meets a lawyer Harsh, over the case of illegal termination of her from the company where she worked which was owned by a powerful man named Jograj.
The case seemed open and shut to Harsh but he could read the depth of it from the circumstances Maya had to go through and then Jograj’s attempt of making Harsh withdraw from this case.
Deepali, a psychiatrist tries to go deep into the past of Maya and the things which comes up shakes the soul of the reader.
I’M A Woman is an intelligent, thoroughly researched and intriguing read.
- Character of Maya is so mysterious that she will force you to read her till the end.
- Dialogues (A thriller feels more thrilling when its decorated with nerve shaking dialogues which hits you like BAMM!!!)
- Characterization. (Author will make you have a deep swim in the personal life of her novel’s characters)
- Short with words but strong with Impact.
- Thought process of different characters on the same event is interesting to read.
- The sessions of Deepali and Maya. (Those were well researched and were knowledgeable too.)
- Repetition of events.
- Being a trilogy, it had to face one drawback, that it ends abruptly. Many things are left in a hurry.
- Thrill part in the second halve seems missing.
The innovative and different title, being a trilogy, debutante author and a thriller really raised the bar of expectations for me. I expected it to be a real mind bursting novel.
It started pretty well. The depth of description in her writing really impressed me. She described each and every thing to perfection. The character detailing, thought process of characters over a event and dialogues kept me glued with the novel. The character of Maya is the one which is difficult to express in words. It would take really hard to make the readers believe that this kind of character can exist and Mallika had done a fabulous job. Maya thinks differently. She lives in her own world. As the story advances, she unfolds the truth of society, the evil truth of society in which we live and call ourselves social animals. The innocence of a child in the talks of an adult was the task which the author had to perform through the character of Maya.
Now coming on the other characters. Harsh looked promising but he losses his presence in the story very soon. Jograj seemed to be interesting but he too disappears as the story advances. Deepali was the only character which remained till the end with Maya but she had nothing to do in the story-line.
Coming to the overall story. It started of well as a thriller but then losses its grip altogether till the end of it. But as it is a trilogy, I hope that other two compensate this loss. It is now mandatory for the author to focus on the thrill and ‘wow’ portions in the coming parts of the series.